Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment? Can I just drop in?

The Academic Advising and International Exchange offices have an online appointment booking system through WCOnline.  This means students are able to see advisor availability and book their own appointments.

  • Visit
  • Create a profile (if you haven’t already done so).
  • Select the Academic Advising schedule for an appointment with an academic advisor. (It should come up automatically.) 
    • If you want to meet to discuss international exchange, choose the relevant option from the drop-down menu to book an appointment with the International Office.
  • Locate the name of the advisor you would like to see.  Availability is indicated by white spaces.  Click on the white space of a time that is convenient for you and enter the information for your appointment.  You can book a 30-minute or a 60-minute appointment.
  • Note that all advisors can assist with all undergraduate programs.

In an effort to protect the public and our employees from the spread of COVID-19, our offices are temporarily closed; however we continue to provide services as best as possible. 

  • You can email any of the Academic Advisors, or for general inquiries, email
  • Our Face-to-Face meetings have moved to a virtual format using phone as the primary communication method. 
  • Select Adacemic Advisors have decided to pilot an online option where the appointment is conducted using a live chat feature during the appointment time.  There may also be an opportunity to use the voice feature, we are testing this option.  

Take care and be safe everyone!
The Academic Advising Team


How do I declare my major?

Please know that the posted deadline to declare your major is not a firm deadline.  During this time of uncertainty, we have changed the process to use the available technology.  If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to email your Dean's office or .

Please note: There are phone appointments available by all Academic Advisors and there are online appointments offered by a select number of advisors for now.  In an effort to protect the public and our employees from the spread of COVID-19, our offices are temporarily closed (face-to-face appointments are conducted by phone only); however we continue to provide services as best as possible via email or through phone and online appointments.

To declare your major, or to apply for an advanced major or honours program, you must complete a declaration form.  The forms are available online at the following links, on the website of your faculty's dean.  

  • Faculty of Arts:  declaration forms
  • Faculty of Business:  declaration forms  (BBA degree pattern worksheets can be found on our FAQ page)
  • Faculty of Science (includes all Human Kinetics):  declaration forms
  • BASC:  forms can be found under both the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science websites indicated above as well as in moodle.

First-year students in the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science degrees are strongly encouraged to declare their major by the end of their first year, if they have decided on their major subject. 

Second-year students are required to declare their majors by the end of March. 

  • Students in the BSc in Nursing and the BSc in Human Nutrition are not required to do so unless they intend to apply for an advanced major or honours degree option. 
  • Students in the Diploma in Engineering do not declare a major.

Procedure:  (Please note this section is under construction and will be updated soon.)

  1. Read the Academic Calendar:  The relevant chapter for your faculty outlines the various degrees available (for example, major, advanced major, honours).  Chapter 4 is Faculty of Arts; Chapter 5 is Faculty of Business; Chapter 7 is Faculty of Science. Chapter 9 is sectioned alphabetically by departments and programs. Read your faculty chapter, and consult the relevant section(s) of Chapter 9 for course requirements for your intended program, major, and minor (where applicable).
  2. Complete a fillable declaration form:  Declaration forms are found at the links above.  Please remember to use the “Save As” option to save your work.  It is good idea to include your name and ID number in the file name.
    • Except BBA students, when completing your form, list the courses you have already completed, those in which you are currently registered, and those that you plan to complete in future years.  Ensure that your proposed courses fulfill the various requirements for your degree, including all requirements for relevant major(s) or minor (where applicable), and any concentrations that you wish to pursue (where applicable).
  3. Email a copy of your completed form to the department chair/coordinator:  The chair or coordinator of your intended major or honours subject(s) will need to approve your declaration form.  If you have questions prior to emailing your form, you can email advising, or the chair or coordinator, with your questions.  Or you can book an appointment with an academic advisor.
    • If you are pursuing a joint program, the chair/coordinator of the first major will forward it to the chair/coordinator of the second major, who will then forward it to the dean’s assistant.
    • A list of department chairs/coordinators can be found here.  This information can also be accessed through the Registrar's Office site.
      • Exceptions:    
        • If you are a BBA student, email the forms directly to Anne Marie Durant (
        • If you are declaring Biology, please email the form to
        • If you are a BASc Health student, please email your form to, but it is strongly recommended you consult with Academic Advising before you submit your form.
  4. Approval of your form:  Declaration forms that have been approved by the department chair (or designate) will be sent directly to the appropriate Dean’s Office for final approval.  You will be notified by the Dean’s Office if your form has been approved, and a copy of the form will be emailed to you.  If there are errors on your form, you will be contacted by an academic advisor to discuss changes to be made prior to approval.


What is a pair?

Electives are courses which are not specified in a degree program.  Electives may be open, that is, chosen by the student, or approved.  Approved electives require permission from either the chair of the department of the student’s major, or the chair of the department in which the student wishes to take a course.  Arts/Science electives do not include professional program courses such as Aquatic Resources (AQUA), Business Administration (BSAD), Engineering (ENGR), Human Kinetics (HKIN), Human Nutrition (HNU), or Nursing (NURS)

What is an Arts/Science elective?

An Arts/Science elective is an elective course from either the Arts or Science Faculties.  It cannot be a “professional” course such as Aquatic Resources (AQUA), Business Administration (BSAD), Engineering (ENGR), Human Kinetics (HKIN), Human Nutrition (HNU), or Nursing (NURS).

What is a Pair?

A pair is 12 credits in one subject, with six credits at the 200-level or higher.  As exceptions, language pairs in French, Celtic Studies and Classics may be composed of 12 credits at the 100-level.  A student may complete only one pair from a department, and may not complete a pair in the major, honours, or minor subject.  A pair may not be completed using any of the following professions or applied program disciplines:  Aquatic Resources (AQUA), Business Administration (BSAD), Engineering (ENGR), Human Kinetics (HKIN), Human Nutrition (HNU), or Nursing (NURS).

  • A pair is not necessarily 2 courses:  A pair could be comprised of two 6-credit courses; four 3-credit courses; or one 6-credit course plus two 3-credit courses.

How do I transfer a course from another school?

If you wish to take a course at another institution, for transfer back to your StFX degree, you MUST obtain written permission PRIOR to taking the course.  This permission is granted through a specific form called a "Letter of Permission".  Failure to obtain an approved Letter of Permission prior to taking a course at another school will result in denial of transfer for that course.  (This requirement also pertains to students wanting to use the French Explore program, or any other language immersion program, for credit toward their degrees.)

The Letter of Permission form can be found on Registrar’s Office Service Site (, in the list of forms, and is submitted electronically.  When you submit your "LOP", ensure that you receive and email from "Services@stfx" (DO NOT USE THIS EMAIL) with your Ticket information.  If you do not receive an email, the submission did not go through and you will need to resubmit it.  The LOP information is sent electronically to a dedicated email account in Academic Advising.

After submitting your Letter of Permission, you should send a follow-up email to the pertinent letter of permission email account (listed below), outlining your reason for wanting to take the course(s) at another institution.  In that email, you should also include the course description (and course outline or syllabus, when available), or a link to those resources, for each course you wish to transfer.

Once received, the Dean of your faculty will review your request.  You will be notified of the decision through your StFX e-mail account, and approved forms will be sent to you as a pdf document.  Please be aware that Letters of Permission are approved for valid reasons, but not all requests are granted.

Once your LOP has been approved, you will need to apply to the host university as a “visiting student” (the term most commonly used by most universities).  DO NOT apply as a transfer or degree student.  Once admitted as a visiting student, you will need to register in whatever manner the host institution requires.  Be aware that many universities allow their own degree students to register before any visiting or non-degree students, so a course in which you're interested may not always be available to you.  Approval of your Letter of Permission request does not guarantee your registration into the course(s) at the host institution.

An approved Letter of Permission gives you the assurance that StFX will accept that course for credit toward your degree.  Most universities also require a copy of the form.  Some universities may have other requirements for admission, such as an official copy of your StFX transcript, but many simply require an admission form, the application fee, and your approved Letter of Permission.

Once the course is completed you will need to order an official transcript from the host university, to be sent directly to the StFX Registrar’s Office.  The credit will be granted to you upon receipt of the transcript showing you have passed the course and have been granted credit at the host institution.

PLEASE NOTE: StFX does not represent the grades of other institutions on its official transcripts. The StFX transcript only indicates that credit has been granted from the other school.  If you apply to another university in the future, you will be required to submit to that institution official transcripts directly from every post-secondary institution at which you were registered in the past (even those from which you took only one or two courses).  With those official transcripts, the new university will be able to assess all of your past academic work.

Thinking of dropping a course?

If you are feeling like you are not able to recover from a failing midterm or assignment, you are not alone. However, we want you to know that there may be options and additional considerations before you make it official and drop the course.
Before you drop a course:
1.    Talk to your professor, they are there to help.
2.    Do the math; it may still be possible to recover. Perhaps this midterm or assignment is only worth 10% of your final grade. Review your syllabus and insert the valuations you have.

For example:    From a sample Syllabus (Note: Not all professors will calculate the grade based on this example; please consult your course syllabus for the correct breakdown)
   Participation 10%
   Quizzes (3) 30%
   Term Paper 20%
   EXAM    40%

Example using your grades:
   Participation ?/10
   Quizzes (3) = 14.3/30
        a.    36/100
        b.    59/100
        c.    48/100
   Term Paper 10/20
   EXAM    ?/40
•    If you assume 5/10 for participation, you need to achieve 20.7/40 or 51.75%on the final exam to pass with a 50 for the course. Do you still want to drop this course?

3.    Are there other academic implications?
      a.    Is this course a pre-requisite for a course you need to take next year? If so, have you discussed options with Academic Advising?
      b.    Is this a course required for your program? (example: progression requirement)
      c.    Would dropping the course prevent you from continuing in your program?
      d.    Dropping a course could put you slightly off track, what are your plans to pick up a replacement?

4.    Are there financial implications?
Do you have a scholarship or external funding that may require registration in a minimum number of credits?

•    Have questions about StFX Scholarships? Contact
•    Have questions about student loan funding? Contact

How do I drop a course?

To drop a course, you would follow the following steps:

  1. Ensure the deadline has not passed
  2. Log into Banner (the same place you went to register in your courses)
  3. In the Registration menu, click Add/Drop Courses
  4. Choose Full Academic year
  5. Find the course you wish to drop and click the drop-down menu.  In the drop-down menu, there should be an option to Drop.  If not, come see Academic Advising as soon as possible.
  6. Once you have selected the drop option for that course, continue to click the submit changes button at the bottom of the screen
  7. Visit "My Grades" in MesAMIS to ensure the course shows as dropped

Please be aware of the deadlines to drop courses.  If you have a hold on your record, please discuss the hold with the student Accounts office and seek assistance with the registrar’s office or with academic advising to drop the course if it is before the deadline to drop.

If you are adding a course in 2nd term, to replace a dropped course in 1st term, please also be aware that there may be additional charges.


What if I want to change or remove my minor?

What if I want to change or remove my minor?

To change your Minor:

  • In the Faculties of Arts and Science, to change a minor, you would complete a new Declaration form and submit it to the Dean for Approval. There is no need to have the Chair of your major sign the new form if you are not changing your Major. 
  • If you are in Business and with to change your minor, complete a new declaration of Major form and bring it to the Dean’s office. 

To remove a minor:

  • If you are in the Business program, send an email to and request that your minor be removed.
  • If you are in the Science program, you will need to complete a new declaration of Major without the minor.

When do I see an Advisor?

There are two things to do before you meet with an advisor: 

  1. All students should read chapter 3 and the chapter for their faculty and the relevant sections of chapter 9.
  2. If you know what subject in which you would like to major, you should speak with the department chair of that department.

Make an appointment with an Academic Advisor if:

  • you have already met with the Chair of your department and still have questions or concerns regarding your program options;
  • you have read the academic calendar and you still have questions;
  • you are having academic difficulty and would like to discuss options.

What does an Academic Advisor do?

  • Assists students with understanding the academic regulations and references in the academic calendar as it pertains to their degree;
  • Assists with questions about declaring a major, advanced major, honours, etc;
  • Discusses Letter of Permission options to take courses at another institution;
  • Assists students who are having academic difficulty:
    • Make recommendations as to how to be more successful, academically;
    • Speak to the Dean of the student’s faculty regarding specific exceptions (ie:  dropping a course after the drop deadline);
  • Acts as a liaison between Deans and the student regarding various issues;
  • Performs a degree audit to ensure degree compliance for graduation;
  • Recommends the services of other offices on campus (ie:  Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Student Career Centre, Health and Counseling, Writing Centre, Non-academic Advisors, etc).


How do i find the Business program worksheets?