Please know that the posted deadline to declare your major is not a firm deadline. During this time of uncertainty, we have changed the process to use the available technology. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to email your Dean's office or firstname.lastname@example.org .
To declare your major, or to apply for an advanced major or honours program, you must complete a declaration form. The forms are available online at the following links, on the website of your faculty's dean.
- Faculty of Arts: declaration forms
- Faculty of Business: declaration forms (BBA degree pattern worksheets can be found on our FAQ page)
- Faculty of Science (includes all Human Kinetics): declaration forms
- BASC: forms can be found under both the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science websites indicated above as well as in moodle.
First-year students in the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science degrees are strongly encouraged to declare their major by the end of their first year, if they have decided on their major subject.
Second-year students are required to declare their majors by the end of March.
- Students in the BSc in Nursing and the BSc in Human Nutrition are not required to do so unless they intend to apply for an advanced major or honours degree option.
- Students in the Diploma in Engineering do not declare a major.
Procedure: (Please note this section is under construction and will be updated soon.)
- Read the Academic Calendar: The relevant chapter for your faculty outlines the various degrees available (for example, major, advanced major, honours). Chapter 4 is Faculty of Arts; Chapter 5 is Faculty of Business; Chapter 7 is Faculty of Science. Chapter 9 is sectioned alphabetically by departments and programs. Read your faculty chapter, and consult the relevant section(s) of Chapter 9 for course requirements for your intended program, major, and minor (where applicable).
- Complete a fillable declaration form: Declaration forms are found at the links above. Please remember to use the “Save As” option to save your work. It is good idea to include your name and ID number in the file name.
- Except BBA students, when completing your form, list the courses you have already completed, those in which you are currently registered, and those that you plan to complete in future years. Ensure that your proposed courses fulfill the various requirements for your degree, including all requirements for relevant major(s) or minor (where applicable), and any concentrations that you wish to pursue (where applicable).
- Email a copy of your completed form to the department chair/coordinator: The chair or coordinator of your intended major or honours subject(s) will need to approve your declaration form. If you have questions prior to emailing your form, you can email advising, or the chair or coordinator, with your questions. Or you can book an appointment with an academic advisor.
- If you are pursuing a joint program, the chair/coordinator of the first major will forward it to the chair/coordinator of the second major, who will then forward it to the dean’s assistant.
- A list of department chairs/coordinators can be found here. This information can also be accessed through the Registrar's Office site.
- Approval of your form: Declaration forms that have been approved by the department chair (or designate) will be sent directly to the appropriate Dean’s Office for final approval. You will be notified by the Dean’s Office if your form has been approved, and a copy of the form will be emailed to you. If there are errors on your form, you will be contacted by an academic advisor to discuss changes to be made prior to approval.