If you are feeling like you are not able to recover from a failing midterm or assignment, you are not alone. However, we want you to know that there may be options and additional considerations before you make it official and drop the course.
Before you drop a course:
1. Talk to your professor, they are there to help.
2. Do the math; it may still be possible to recover. Perhaps this midterm or assignment is only worth 10% of your final grade. Review your syllabus and insert the valuations you have.
For example: From a sample Syllabus (Note: Not all professors will calculate the grade based on this example; please consult your course syllabus for the correct breakdown)
Quizzes (3) 30%
Term Paper 20%
Example using your grades:
Quizzes (3) = 14.3/30
Term Paper 10/20
• If you assume 5/10 for participation, you need to achieve 20.7/40 or 51.75%on the final exam to pass with a 50 for the course. Do you still want to drop this course?
3. Are there other academic implications?
a. Is this course a pre-requisite for a course you need to take next year? If so, have you discussed options with Academic Advising?
b. Is this a course required for your program? (example: progression requirement)
c. Would dropping the course prevent you from continuing in your program?
d. Dropping a course could put you slightly off track, what are your plans to pick up a replacement?
4. Are there financial implications?
Do you have a scholarship or external funding that may require registration in a minimum number of credits?
How do I drop a course?
To drop a course, you would follow the following steps:
- Ensure the deadline has not passed
- Log into Banner (the same place you went to register in your courses)
- In the Registration menu, click Add/Drop Courses
- Choose Full Academic year
- Find the course you wish to drop and click the drop-down menu. In the drop-down menu, there should be an option to Drop. If not, come see Academic Advising as soon as possible.
- Once you have selected the drop option for that course, continue to click the submit changes button at the bottom of the screen
- Visit "My Grades" in MesAMIS to ensure the course shows as dropped
Please be aware of the deadlines to drop courses. If you have a hold on your record, please discuss the hold with the student Accounts office and seek assistance with the registrar’s office or with academic advising to drop the course if it is before the deadline to drop.
If you are adding a course in 2nd term, to replace a dropped course in 1st term, please also be aware that there may be additional charges.