Rhodes Canada Scholarship
2021 Rhodes Canada Timeline
- September 7, 2021 (23:59 ADT): Internal application deadline (email submission only)
- September 2021: Interviews for short-listed candidates (by invitation only)
- September 2021: StFX candidates notified
- September 27, 2021 (23:59 GMT): Rhodes Trust online application deadline
- October 11, 2021 (23:59 GMT): Referee letters online submission deadline (referee letters must be written in English)
- Late-October to mid-November 2021: StFX Rhodes Scholarship Internal Selection Committee assists candidates with interview preparation through practice interviews
- November 2021: Maritime Regional Selection Committee (MRSC) interviews (by invitation only). The MRSC contacts candidates directly with the date, time and location of the interview.
- Late November/ Early December: Rhodes Canada scholars announced.
2021 Rhodes Canada Competition (2022 Scholarship)
Up to 11 Rhodes Scholarships are awarded annually in Canada, including two in the Maritime Region (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). A Rhodes Scholarship is tenable at the University of Oxford. Election to the scholarship is normally for two years but the scholarship may be held for one year only, depending on the degree program pursued by the scholar. A scholarship may be renewed, at the complete discretion of the Trustees, for a third and final year for those who were initially admitted to Oxford to pursue a doctoral degree. Scholars may follow their own course of study.
The Rhodes Scholarship is open to all undergraduate and graduate students in all Faculties. The scholarship covers all university and college fees, a personal stipend, living/ accommodation expenses, two economy class flights (one at the start of the scholarship and one at the end of the scholarship) to study at Oxford University.
- Note: Please review the criteria on the Which Scholarship page to ensure you are applying for the most appropriate Rhodes Scholarship.
- Be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (students who are attending a Canadian university on a student visa are not eligible to apply).
- Be domiciled in Canada.
- Must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday at 01 October 2021 (must have been born after October 1, 1997 and on or before October 1, 2003) or for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual, must have not reached your 27th birthday (must have been born after October 1, 1994) AND your first undergraduate degree must have or will be awarded on or before October 1, 2020.
- Have completed or will have completed by June/July 2022, an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor's degree) to a sufficiently high standard (e.g. First Class Honours or Distinction) to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. Please note the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford.
The Rhodes Trust focuses on four criteria which are used in the selection of Scholars:
- Academic excellence (see Eligibility Criteria above).
- Energy to use your talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, including where teamwork is involved).
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship.
- Moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in your fellow human beings.
How to Apply Through StFX University
The process for candidates has two parts: an internal screening process by the StFX Rhodes Scholarship Internal Selection Committee and an external application submitted to The Rhodes Trust online portal.
- Applications are submitted through the Office of the Associate Vice President, Research and Graduate Studies. Any other route will not be considered. If you have questions about the StFX internal selection process for the Rhodes Scholarship, please contact the Office of the Associate Vice President, Research and Graduate Studies (email@example.com).
- Candidates are to email the following documents, in English, (preferably combined in one PDF document) to Dr. Richard Isnor, Associate Vice President, Research and Graduate Studies firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full curriculum vitae (should not exceed two A4 (12pt) pages), please see document for full details
- 1,000 word personal statement, please see document for full details
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities attended
- Please note: birth certificate, valid passport, written statement from the President, official transcripts, photograph and referee letters are not required for StFX's internal process. Note about the referee letters: you should contact your six referees (at least three or more of your referees should speak to your academics and two or more of your six referees should testify to your character) and provide them with the two-paged Guidance for Referees document prior to mid-September. Institutionally endorsed candidates will need to have their referee letters written by early October for the October 11th Rhodes Trust online submission date.
- Candidates will be emailed on the status of their application during the StFX internal screening process.