Rhodes Canada Scholarship
- Internal StFX application deadline (email submission only) - September 14, 2022 (23:59 ADT)
- Interviews for StFX short-listed candidates (by invitation only) - September 19-23, 2022
- StFX Rhodes candidates notified - September 23, 2022
- Rhodes Trust online application deadline - September 28, 2022 (23:59 PDT)
- Referee letters online submission deadline (referee letters must be written in English) - October 5, 2022 (23:59 PDT)
- StFX Rhodes Scholarship Internal Selection Committee assists candidates with interview preparation through practice interviews - Late October - Mid November 2022
- Maritime Regional Selection Committee (MRSC) interviews (by invitation only). The MRSC contacts candidates directly with the date, time and location of the interview - November 2022
- Rhodes Canada scholars announced - Late November/Early December, 2022
2022 Rhodes Canada Competition (2023 Scholarship)
The 2022 Rhodes Scholarship Competition is now open and accepting applications. Up to 11 Rhodes Scholarships are awarded annually in Canada, including 2 (two) in the Maritime Region (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island). It is also possible to apply for a scholarship in your home province of residence if you live outside of the Maritimes. Note: Please review the criteria on the Which Scholarship page to ensure you are applying for the most appropriate Rhodes Scholarship. Information regarding the Rhodes Scholarship opportunities here: https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/the-rhodes-scholarship/
A Rhodes Scholarship is tenable at the University of Oxford, UK. The scholarship is normally held for two years, but may be held for one year only, depending on the degree program pursued. A scholarship may also be renewed, at the discretion of the Trustees, for a third year for Scholars admitted to Oxford to pursue a doctoral degree. Scholars may choose any course for which they can gain admission at Oxford. The Rhodes Scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students in all Faculties. The scholarship provides all university and college fees, a personal stipend, living/accommodation expenses, and two economy class flights (one at the start of the scholarship and one at the end of the scholarship) to study at Oxford University.
Important: To proceed with a Rhodes Scholarship application at StFX, you must first earn the endorsement of the university (regardless of the province you are applying for). The Rhodes Scholarship uses an online application portal that requires an authorization code available through my office. A short letter of endorsement from the President of StFX is also required and will be arranged for successful nominees. Given the competitive nature of this Scholarship opportunity and the limited number of scholarships available across Canada, StFX will normally endorse a maximum of three (3) candidates in any given year.
Note: Please review the criteria on the Which Scholarship page to ensure you are applying for the most appropriate Rhodes Scholarship.
- Be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (students who are attending a Canadian university on a student visa are not eligible to apply).
- Be domiciled in Canada.
- Must be at least 18 and have not reached their 24th birthday at 01 October 2022 (must have been born after October 1, 1998 and on or before October 1, 2004) or for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual, must have not reached your 27th birthday (must have been born after October 1, 1995) AND your first undergraduate degree must have or will be awarded on or before October 1, 2021.
- Have completed or will have completed by June/July 2023, an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor's degree) to a sufficiently high standard (e.g. First Class Honours or Distinction) to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. Please note the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford.
The complete application requirements can be found at this link: https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/applications/canada/eligibilitycriteria/
The Rhodes Trust focuses on four criteria which are used in the selection of Scholars:
- Academic excellence (see Eligibility Criteria above).
- Energy to use your talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, including where teamwork is involved).
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship.
- Moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in your fellow human beings.
How to Apply Through StFX University
The process for candidates has two parts: an internal screening process by the StFX Rhodes Scholarship Internal Selection Committee and an external application submitted to The Rhodes Trust online portal.
Applications are submitted through the StFX Office of the Associate Vice President, Research and Graduate Studies. Any other route will not be considered. If you have questions about the StFX internal selection process for the Rhodes Scholarship, please contact the Office of the Associate Vice President, Research and Graduate Studies (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Candidates are to email the following documents (before the internal deadline of September 14, 2022 (23:59 ADT), in English, (preferably in one PDF document) to Dr. Richard Isnor, Associate Vice President, Research and Graduate Studies (email@example.com)
- a full curriculum vitae (should not exceed two A4 (12pt) pages), please see The Rhodes Scholarship for Canada Information for Candidates document for full details
- a 1,000 word personal statement, please see The Rhodes Scholarship for Canada Information for Candidates document for full details
- unofficial transcripts from all universities attended
- Please note: birth certificate, valid passport, written statement from the President, official transcripts, photograph and referee letters are not required for StFX's internal process.
- Note about the referee letters: you should contact your six referees (at least three or more of your referees should speak to your academics and two or more of your six referees should testify to your character) and provide them with the two-paged Guidance for Referees document prior to mid-September. Institutionally endorsed candidates will need to have their referee letters written by early October for the October 5th Rhodes Trust online submission date.
Only institutionally endorsed candidates will be provided the authorization code from the Office of the Associate Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies to submit their online application to the Rhodes Trust. The President of StFX will also sign a letter of endorsement for each candidate nominated through the StFX internal selection process.
If you have any questions about The Rhodes Scholarship for Canada Information for Candidates document, please contact the National Secretary for the Rhodes Scholarships in Canada: Richard Pan (firstname.lastname@example.org)