"Cho glic ri sagart agus eallach leabhraichean air"
Celtic Collection Overview
Students and visiting scholars at St FX can access a remarkable collection of Celtic Studies materials, especially as relating to Scottish Gaelic. It is the largest of its kind in Canada, and one of the most significant in North America.
Highlights of the Collection
- ~ 10,000 items
- Monographs, Serials, Pamphlets, ephemera, manuscripts, recorded material, newspaper clippings
- ~ 30 Current Periodical Subscriptions
- Local history materials, including letters, manuscripts, genealogy, artifacts, oral history
- Scottish Gaelic language resources
- Celtic Literature, poetry, prose anthologies, folklore, music, instructional and lexicographical material
- 18th Century Historical and Statistical works pertaining to the Jacobite period in Scottish History
- Books published in Scottish Gaelic prior to 1900
- Ais-eiridh na Sean Chanoin Albannaich, Alasdair mac Mhaighstir Alasdair, 1751, 1st ed.
- MacTalla, 1892-1904, Johnathan MacKinnon
- Companach an Òganaich, Alexander MacGillivra, 1836
- William O'Donnell's translation of the Bible into Irish, with a Scottish Gaelic Glossary, 1690
See official webpage for the Celtic Collections
The Celtic Collection at St FX holds a number of important Celtic manuscripts (originals and reproductions), including the "Ridge" MSS, the Angus Stephen Beaton MSS, and the Hector MacLean MSS.
There are a number of audio and video recordings that have been made in Nova Scotia, or by scholars based at St FX, which are housed at St FX. These include recordings made of Duncan Angus MacRae in Glengarry in 1914, by John Lorne Campbell in Nova Scotia in 1937, and the Cape Breton Gaelic Folklore Collection by John Shaw from 1977 to 1982.
Many of the most important items are available online from our web service Sruth nan Gàidheal / Gael-Stream
A number of our rare and important items are available digitally via our web services. Some of the items of interest to Celtic scholars are:
- Alasdair mac Mhaighstir Alasdair, 1751, Ais-eiridh na sean chánoin Albannaich
- Alasdair MacGilleBhràth, 1836, Companach an Òganaich
- Murchadh Moireasdan, 1931, Òrain Fuinn is Cladaich
- George Patterson, 1877, A history of the county of Pictou, Nova Scotia
See official webpage for the St FX Digital Collections
See also Sruth nan Gàidheal / Gael-Stream