International Students Information


Co-operative Education is the most recognized way for you to graduate with relevant work experience and avoid the no-job-no-experience cycle. With a co-op education, you have the opportunity to make connections with industry and obtain paid, professional work experience to use as credits toward your degree.

By joining our program, you are investing in yourself and your future. By the time you are ready to enter the workforce, you are more experienced, more prepared, and more confident.

Application Deadline: May 4, 2020. We will have one intake in 2020-2021.  

The Co-op Advantage

  • Work, live, and travel across Canada (some students have worked internationally)
  • Access personalized career coaching and advising
  • Experience a variety of work experiences that you can integrate into your academics
  • Earn a competitive salary to help offset educational costs
  • Build your understanding of the world of work 
  • Practice your professional networking skills and gain confidence as an emerging professional.
  • Discover your skills, interests, values, and goals
  • Increase your chance of being hired before graduation. 

Interested in learning more about the Program? If you have additional questions and want to talk with a current co-op student, please contact The Co-op Coordinator will be able to help prospective students connect with current co-op students.  


Work Permit Information 

After being accepted into the Co-op program, international students are required to have a co-op work permit in addition to their study permit prior to applying for any co-op jobs. For more information on the work permit application process visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. Co-op work permit application processing times can be lengthy. Students are encouraged to start the process immediately after being accepted into the Co-op program. Co-op Students should visit CIC's website for the most up-to-date information. 

In addition to the co-op work permit, students will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. For more information, please visit the Government of Canada's website. Students can apply for their SIN after being accepted into the Co-op Program. 


Other Resources 

StFX International Student Office

Post-graduation Work Permit