StFX Laptop Support Program
There is limited student access available on campus to computer labs and to borrowing devices through the IT Service's Student Laptop Loaner Program. It is strongly suggested that all students studying in-person at StFX procure a personal laptop to support success in their studies.
The university recognizes this may cause undue financial hardship for some students and has made a limited amount of needs-based funding available to help support students who find themselves without access to a suitable laptop. Funding may be requested for either the repair or upgrade of an existing laptop or the purchase of a new laptop.
Based on market research conducted by the StFX Financial Aid Office, in consultation with IT Services, it has been determined a laptop suitable for use at the undergraduate and graduate levels can be purchased within the range of $500 - $750. This program will seek to support students with purchases within this range.
To be eligible to apply to the StFX Laptop Support Program, a student must be:
- Registered in a credit-based degree or diploma program; this program is not available to students pursuing non-degree study.
- Studying in-person at StFX; students studying fully online or through distance only programs are expected to have already addressed access to technology as an expected and required cost of attendance when choosing this study option.
- Actively registered as a student at StFX at the time of application.
- Demonstrate financial need, relevant to typical student related costs and resources.
- Demonstrate a commitment to accessing all available student resources, including:
- government student loan funding if available;
- private funding such as a bank loan or line of credit;
- all other funding programs as applicable.
Funding available through this program is cost specific; applicants must be agreeable to the following to be considered for this opportunity:
- Willing to purchase a laptop that meets, or exceeds, the recommendations published by IT Services here.
- Willing to purchase a laptop that can normally be expected to be maintained through the full length of their current diploma or degree studies.
- Willing to submit receipts to verify the use of funds awarded.
Students may apply using the online Laptop Support Program Application Form for the winter 2023 term.
Applicants must be actively registered in in-person studies at StFX at the time of application.
Students are welcome to access support completing the application from the University by contacting the StFX Financial Aid Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or any other support office on campus.
Applications will be reviewed weekly. All applicants will be notified of decisions via their StFX email account and provided with instructions on how to submit receipts following their laptop repair, upgrade or purchase.