Citation Management - Why use a citation manager?
Citing your sources is an essential part of academic writing. Citation management tools can help you save time by allowing you to:
- Collect references from online databases, library catalogues and websites
- Store, edit and organize your references in a personal account online
- Format citations in your papers
- Create bibliographies in citation styles such as APA, MLA, Chicago, and more
- Save and organize PDFs
- Add notes on the references you've saved
Citation Management Tools
There are a number of different citation management tools available to choose from.
Some, such as EndNote and RefWorks, require a paid subscription. Others, such as Zotero and Mendeley, are free, with the option to add in more storage or extra features for a fee.
The Library's RefWorks subscription ended in April, 2022.
We recommend that if you want to start using a citation management tool, you create a free account with Zotero. There is information on getting started with Zotero in the Library's Citation Management subject guide.
If you need help getting started with Zotero, you can check our Knowledge Base or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.