The StFX Faculty of Education is proposing to offer a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on Inclusive Education for qualified educators beginning in the summer of 2019. This Master of Education program is designed to: a) build the capacity of teachers to implement inclusive education in complex classrooms and schools; and b) prepare qualified Resource Teachers. The courses and internship in this cohort program will provide participants with practical knowledge and competencies in:
- characteristics of learners: typical and atypical development of cognitive, sensory, physical-motor, communication, social-emotional, self-regulation, and behavioral skills;
- complex student needs: mental health, behavioral, and trauma-based challenges;
- individualized assessment, evaluation and reporting of student achievement, including Level B assessments;
- design and implementation of individualized programming in Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS):Individual Program Plans (IPPs) and Adaptations;
- individualized, intensive intervention: literacy, mathematics and learning disabilities;
- implementation of inclusive education policies, procedures and guidelines; and
- communication and collaboration in program planning in partnership with students, parents, educators and outside professionals.