Course registration is the process of selecting and enrolling in the courses you need to satisfy the requirements for your degree. Students in most programs can build their own course schedules, selecting from courses which interest them and will meet their degree requirements.
Before you start registering in courses, you will learn about the course requirements for your program, including required first-year courses and options for first-year electives. In the next step, Step 2, you will be able to select your courses based on the degree or diploma program into which you have been admitted.
- It is very important that you have access to the current Academic Calendar as you work through these steps.
- You will need your StFX username and password (same as your email), and your StFX Student ID and PIN to log into Banner Self-Service and MyDATA.
It’s easiest to think of registering for your courses in two distinct phases:
- Selecting Your Courses – finding the courses that are right for you and your program.
- Registering for the courses you have selected.
As you go through the registration process, there are a few things that you should do to mark your progress.
Your Registration Worksheets
Before you begin, we recommend you print these Registration Worksheets to help you stay organized. These supportive documents will assist you through the registration process.
- Course Planning Sheet – to record the courses that interest you.
- First-Term and Second-Term Course Timeblocks Sheets – to build your first-term and second-term schedules.
FROM NOW UNTIL June 10th
Your task: Select your courses.
- Familiarize yourself with the course selection and registration process in the following Steps of this Guide.
- Select the courses for your program and complete your course planning sheet. Though you cannot yet build your specific schedule, you can still choose the courses that you want to include in your registration for the coming year.
FROM June 10th UNTIL July 13th
Your task: Build your course schedule.
- With the Course Timetable (released June 10th), find your course section times and fill in your Course Time blocks schedule for each term.
- On July 9th, registration start times will be set for July 13th. Check your individual registration start time after noon on July 9th from the Registration menu in Banner Self-Service. (Note that prior to July 9th, all start times will be artificially set to a date in September...please ignore that date.)
- Walk through the registration tutorial found in Step 4 of this Guide to be fully prepared for registration to begin on July 13th.
ON July 13th
Your task: Register for your courses.
- Log into Banner Self-Service and register for your courses at your earliest opportunity to ensure the best chance of getting a seat in your preferred sections. Although you can register and make changes to your schedule throughout the summer, waiting to register will restrict your course and section choices. It is strongly recommended that you try to register as close to your assigned registration start time as possible.
We are here to help!
This website will provide you with all the answers you need to select your courses and register successfully. If, however, you have questions for which you cannot find the answers, please contact us for assistance using the information found in the "Contact Us" tab below, and at the bottom of this page.
When corresponding with us, please include your full name and StFX ID number to allow us to serve you most efficiently.