Career Development is a lifelong process of managing learning, work, leisure, and transitions in order to move toward a personally determined and evolving future. Career development isn’t a linear process. The career development process consists of four steps: self-assessment, exploring options, making decisions, and taking action. A lack of career development can lead to feelings of frustration, uncertainty, anxiety, and feeling stuck.
After working through CareerCruising, if you are still unsure what to do next, you may benefit from meeting (virtually) with a career counsellor or career practitioner. A career counsellor or practitioner can support you through a self- assessment process to understand your interests, values, skills, personal style and other factors that are important to understand and consider when taking your next steps. Career counsellors and practitioners can also help you understand what fields, work settings, employment opportunities would be better fits for your self- assessment outcomes. You can also use your individual assessment outcomes to help you focus your job search, prepare resumes and cover letters, and interviews. You can make an appointment with StFX Career Services by emailing us.
These online resources will review the career planning process and provide additonal reading.
- Careercruising.com Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for user name and pass word. Careercruising is a self-exploration and planning program that helps people with discovering careers. The system contains assessments, career profiles, multimedia interviews, and employment guide.
- Advice for College Students: How to Maximize Your Career Development During COVID-19 (NACE). This is a great article from the National Association of Colleges and Employers that provides advice to college students on how to maximize your career development during COVID-19.
- Job bank Career Planning Quizzes - This website lets users explore career possibilities and personality.
- Personality Assessment (Truity)- have a free assessment results
- Various Career Assessments (Truity)- free basic reports
Career Planning Online Workbooks
- Career Decision Making Workbook (CCDF), If you are unsure what you want to do after school or throughout your career, this guide is for you.
- Assessing You: The First Step in Career Planning (Gov of AB)
- Career Planner: Choosing an Occupation (Gov of AB)
- Change & Transition
- Creating a New Future: The Job Loss Workbook