STUDENT SUCCESS CENTRE FAQS
Appointments are free to any student currently registered at StFX. To book an appointment please click here
During the current public health crisis, appointments will be held via Collaborate virtual offices. Your instructor will contact you with a link and further instructions prior to your meeting. It is your responsibility to forward your work (with any relevant assignment instructions) to the instructor at least 2 hours ahead of time.
Why make an appointment?
- To quash procrastination
- To brainstorm a topic
- To develop an outline
- To receive feedback on a draft
- To learn to integrate source material appropriately
- To become familiar with referencing styles
- To develop revision strategies
- To improve grammar
Before an Appointment
- Plan ahead. Allow yourself ample time to make revisions after leaving your Student Success Centre appointment.
- Send a digital copy of the assignment guidelines and assignment.
- Check your course syllabus, course Web site, or with your professor for further details.
- Know what type of documentation you must use (APA, MLA - parenthetical, footnotes or endnotes, other).
During an Appointment
- Instructors can offer suggestions on your overall writing skills; however, you are responsible for all final revisions to your work.
- Maximize your time by asking the instructor to work with you on your biggest problem areas.
- You may struggle with overall structure, writing introductions and conclusions or with a specific aspect of grammar; an instructor can focus on specific components of a writing assignment.
- Prioritize your writing concerns; appointments are limited to 45 minutes.
Consider your strengths and weaknesses:
- Getting Started
- Referencing styles
Remember…We know it’s just a draft!