EAP Goes Online!
EAP is currently being offered online (see below). Continued online offerings depend on demand. Please confirm online or in-person delivery in the "Program Delivery Dates" section below or by contacting the program coordinator, Dr. Mark Leeming, at email@example.com.
English for Academic Purposes at St. Francis Xavier University is an English language bridging program for students offered a conditional acceptance to study at StFX. Successful completion of the advanced EAP course (Level 6) satisfies StFX’s language requirement (equivalent to 6.5 in IELTS) and allows students to enroll in full-time studies the following semester.
- Programs begin in September, January, and June
- Two academic levels offered: intermediate and advanced
- Option to earn credits toward your degree in the advance level
- Delivered full time for 12 weeks
- In person: 300hrs, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-2:30pm (25hrs/week). Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, as of Sept. 2020, this program will only be delivered in person if all students can get to campus. If some students can get to Canada and others cannot, the course will be redesigned to accommodate all students.
- Online: Monday-Friday, approximately 2 hours of synchronous class time per day. The instructor will provide a schedule at the beginning of term with synchronous and asynchronous components. Synchronous classes are usually held from 8:00-10:00am Atlantic Standard Time (Nova Scotian time zone). However, the schedule can be flexible, based on students' needs and to accommodate various time zones.
- In-person classes are located on StFX campus in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Online classes are delivered using various Microsoft Office Suite Apps and Moodle. These platforms are available to all StFX students at no additional cost.
- Tuition Fee (textbook included, tax exempt): $4500 CAD *plus optional course tuition & fees (see detailed fee table below)
EAP Program Dates:
- January 3 - April 7, 2023
- June 5 - August 25, 2023
- September 5 - December 8, 2023
- January 8 - April 6, 2024
For students accepted with IELTS scores of 5.0 or 5.5 overall (no band below 4.5), this is the intermediate level of EAP @ STFX. In this level, students critically evaluate readings and write academic essays. They develop skills in listening and speaking through lectures, presentations, debates, and discussions.
For students accepted with IELTS scores of 6.0 overall (no band below 5.0), this is advanced level of EAP @ STFX. In this level, students further develop critical reading and writing, listen to and take notes on lectures, give presentations, lead class discussions, and carry out an academic research project.
* With the permission of the coordinator, students may take one additional academic course during their EAP course.
EAP @ X: Program Details
Whether you begin in level 5 or 6, the program’s goals are to:
- Prepare students for academic study in a StFX classroom environment
- Increase students’ English proficiency to meet the university’s admissions standards (IELTS 6.5)
The EAP program’s coursework is designed to improve students’ reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills and overall academic competency in a StFX classroom setting. Specifically, the program seeks to:
- increase fluency and accuracy in oral and written English
- foster independent learning and enhance collaborative skills
- improve competency in academic researching and referencing
- establish ability to meet academic standards in summarizing, paraphrasing, and quoting
- develop a clear understanding of academic integrity rules and penalties
- develop critical reading and writing skills at a university level
- increase comfort with giving presentations and participating in discussions
- provide strategies for problem solving and handling stress in a university setting
- encourage cultural awareness and contribution
- build communication skills
- improve time management skills
- improve note-taking and study skills
- increase understanding of syllabi and assignment instructions
- Complete daily individual and collaborative activities in class and at home
- Complete a variety of individual and group academic assignments
- Develop a study and time management plan
- Take a final exam assessing reading, listening, writing, and speaking skills required for academic study in English